POSTED BY KATIE EDWARDS
This past weekend in our junior high service we played one of my favorite games of all time. It is super simple, timeless, and requires almost no prep (my favorite kind of games J). Students absolutely love it and think it is the most hilarious game. ggWhether you are in a small group setting or a crowd of students at camp I promise it will become a favorite among your people.
The game is WHY/BECAUSE.
Here is what you need:
- Small sheets of paper in 2 different colors.
- On one color write the word WHY at the top and on the other color write BECAUSE at the top (you can print these ahead of time or have students hand write them just before you play)
- Pens or pencils
Here is how you play:
- Give each student a WHY card and a BECAUSE card (you can give more than one of each depending on the size of your group-you want to have a good sized stack to choose from).
- Give students a few minutes to write any WHY question and any BECAUSE statement they want to.
- Give the some examples – most junior highers need a little inspiration from you to get going. See examples below.
- Literally any WHY questions or BECAUSE statements.
- Collect all of the cards from students
- Make 2 piles. Sort through and take out duplicates, filter anything inappropriate, and mix them up.
- Have 2 volunteers read the cards in no particular order. One reads a WHY question and the other answers with a BECAUSE statement. Keep going back and forth until you run out of cards…or you feel as if the game is done.
- It’s super random and super funny.
Why do girls go to the bathroom in groups?
Why is One Direction so awesome?
Why is Scott single? (my intern)
Because Bigfoot has never been spotted.
Because the radiation levels are too high.
Because I had a dream last night that One Direction worked at my local butcher.