POSTED BY KATIE EDWARDS
I’m sitting in Starbucks thinking about my small group. On Wednesday nights I lead a small group of 14 7th grade girls. Let me rephrase that, I lead a group of 14 sweet, crazy, loud, don’t want to do anything serious whatsoever 7th grade girls. They are wonderful. As I sit here reflecting on our time last night, I find myself giggling out loud just thinking about some of the things they say and do. I thought I would share them.
- They like to scream. And hug.
- They love any excuse to wear pajama bottoms outside their house.
- Makena texts ahead of time to let us know what she is wearing to group.
- Sugar is the enemy. We don’t show them any sugar until they are leaving.
- Julia brings a stuffed snake named Frank that answers questions during bible study.
- Did I mention they like to scream?
- Half of my group looks 10 and the other half looks 18. However, everyone acts 13.
- The big things and the little things really matter to them. When they walk in the door, they each have 18 very important things to tell me.
- When we start our bible study time there is a constant hum in the room. They literally cannot all be quiet and paying attention at the same time.
- I write down a lot of prayer requests regarding sick dogs, tests at school, and friends of friends.
- Even though they are all teenagers, they are still such little girls in so many ways.
I love these girls. We have not gotten to the point in our small group where tons of deep stimulating conversation about Jesus is happening yet. But I know the time we are spending together and the relationships being formed are eventually going lead us toward something amazing.