POSTED by Katie Edwards
A few months back I started meeting with a group of my students to plan our weekend junior high church service. We meet once a month for an hour in my office to share ideas and plan. I try to get a good mix of gender, grades, schools, personalities etc. and it is typically never the same group twice. It’s a super low key/no frills meeting, but it has become one of my favorite times of the month.
How the meeting is structured:
- We start with snacks. (An essential for any brainstorm session with students)
- Then we go to the whiteboard. (A second essential for a good brainstorm sesh)
- I throw the series theme/topic on the whiteboard, along with some basic service elements. “Elements” such as music, message, games, etc.
- Then we just start talking and sharing ideas.
- I ask questions like, “Would you bring a friend to this?”, “Do you think this is funny?”, “Will others students like this?” ,“How could you grow in your walk with Jesus from this?” and so on.
- At the end of our time together our students feel a sense of ownership in our ministry and I walk away with tons of ideas and a more relevant picture of what my students like/want/need.
I know it’s tough to put one more meeting on the calendar, but this type of touch base with your students could be totally worth your time. Honestly, I walk away after each meeting feeling totally inspired and more in love with students.