There are some things I think I’ll never fully understand.
I’m in an airplane as I type this. I know the laws of physics that explain how a giant hunk of metal can fly through the air – but even still, I don’t think I’ll ever completely “understand” it. It still rattles my brain.
LIkewise, even though I’ve been doing middle school ministry for many years now, there are still some things I’ll never fully understand!
- Like how every week when small groups of middle school boys spend just a short amount of time in my office, the place absolutely stinks for hours after they’re gone.
- Like how middle school parents don’t care what we teach 49 weeks out of the year, but when we start our guy/girl relationships series they’re all super-curious.
- Like how a jr. higher who’s excited to see me will run up & stand 12 inches from a conversation I’m having … even though they have nothing they want to say.
- Like how an adult who’s so reluctant to volunteer time with kids, can fall so in love with middle schoolers that they invest more than you ever thought they would.
- Like how “stealing a hat & running away” is still so fun for jr. highers.
- Like how some middle schools act like they’re about 8 years old, and others act like they’re 18. And how sometimes that’s the same kid, 20 minutes apart.
- Like how a game we dream up seems like such a genius idea – until we actually play it!
- Like how honest a middle school kid will be with you, when they know that you really care about them.
- Like how God uses a shmoe like me to help some jr highers see him a little more clearly – and how that can really, truly make a difference in their life!